Jealhimet Community

Jealhimet Community Forums
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: DooooooOOOoooooom
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:36 pm 
Administrator

Awesome that they picked our server :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:08 pm 
Regular
 WWW  Profile

Grim wrote:
Awesome that they picked our server :)

Yeah, I'm dead chuffed about that.

Dr. S.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:07 pm 
Junior Troll

And I who stopped the subscription yesterday with 0 days left to play....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:01 pm 
Spam Meister

nice to see it like this again, hopefully it'll last a little while until BW can make some kind of announcement about up-coming content that gets folk interested again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:21 pm 
Spam Meister

Rich Vogel gone. More layoffs in Austin. "New ways to play" coming soon.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/17 ... s-rumored/

I won't even play it when it goes F2P. Fuck them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:19 pm 
Spam Meister

kai-ying wrote:
Rich Vogel gone. More layoffs in Austin. "New ways to play" coming soon.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/17 ... s-rumored/

I won't even play it when it goes F2P. Fuck them.

New ways to play? More iconic and star-warsy ones by any chance?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:27 pm 
Spam Meister
 WWW  Profile

Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautifull butterfly patterns... I'M FREE!!!
dear Bod, you guys are all so down on things.... those of us still playing are having a great time. Numbers are up o the server, yes due to the destination server thingy, but folks are finding their feet - the group finder has been a great help.

Sorry you fell out of love with it - it never was going to be SWG2 - you can go play the emu for that - but just sitting here, cackling over any scrap of bad news.... dear me, get lives, people.

And thats the main trouble for any game - the gamers. People who will happily talk a game to death.

The Old Republic is a good game. It's a fun game - certainly more fun then wow, despite the similarities. And it's still very early days for it.

So, lets not start the funeral march just yet - despite the apparent glee of some.

Sorry, but thats just how some of you are coming across - disipointed, so eager to find - and report - bad news.

Us in game are having a whale of a time.

Mac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:49 am 
Master Spammer

macfadyan wrote:
dear Bod, you guys are all so down on things.... those of us still playing are having a great time. Numbers are up o the server, yes due to the destination server thingy, but folks are finding their feet - the group finder has been a great help.

Sorry you fell out of love with it - it never was going to be SWG2 - you can go play the emu for that - but just sitting here, cackling over any scrap of bad news.... dear me, get lives, people.

And thats the main trouble for any game - the gamers. People who will happily talk a game to death.

The Old Republic is a good game. It's a fun game - certainly more fun then wow, despite the similarities. And it's still very early days for it.

So, lets not start the funeral march just yet - despite the apparent glee of some.

Sorry, but thats just how some of you are coming across - disipointed, so eager to find - and report - bad news.

Us in game are having a whale of a time.

I agree, I'm not playing any more because the server got quiet and I found myself not missing the game, but I'd still like it to work because I love Star Wars, and maybe in a couple of months when the weather is not as good, there's some new content, etc. I'll give it another go.

Folk might have a go at EA/Bioware blaming the players for the game "failing", but they're kind of right, sure they did some things wrong, and handled player response badly, but everyone whined SO much that there is a huge cloud of negativity hanging over the game and they just can't win now. Any sign of big new changes will be seen as last ditch attempts, no matter how good they might be, and if they just fix things they'll be seen as having abondoned the game and just trying to keep it alive.

TL;DR; If you don't like the game, just shut up about it and ignore it, let those who like it and play it get on with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:29 pm 
Spam Meister

No, I won't stop posting news about SWTOR or how poorly it's performing. Sorry that upsets some of you. I'm glad you're enjoying it, genuinely.

I *want* TOR to fail, spectacularly, not to piss off people still playing or ruin anyone's fun. I want it to fail so that EA/Bioware loose a lot of money, and I mean a lot. The kind of money that makes games developers pay attention and realise that they can't keep shitting out clones of other games, sticking a £50 price tag on it and call it a AAA title.

EDIT: As for the "shut up" comments, that's not going to happen. The ignore list is on the left-hand pane if you don't like it. I paid the ticket price, I paid the subscriptions, I get my say. I'm not telling everyone else what games they can comment on, how dare any of you try to tell me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:03 pm 
Master Spammer

I'm pretty sure it's already gone down as a big fail in EA/Bioware and gaming history, and if they start losing lots money they'll just shut it down, whining about it continuously on a small private forum doesn't change that. Will it make games companies stop producing many clones/sequels, no, because an existing IP and proven gameplay model is still a whole lot less risky and involved, especially with the detail people expect from modern games. Almost all gameplay innovation is going to come from smaller indie developers.

It's much more likely that SWTOR failing will put people off touching the Star Wars IP again, which is a shame.

And for the record I've already ignored you, my previous post was in response to Macfadyan.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:06 pm 
Senior Spammer

Chisel wrote:
TL;DR; If you don't like the game, just shut up about it and ignore it, let those who like it and play it get on with it.

You might as well go ahead and ignore me as well. I will still be posting about the state of SWTOR and EA from a business perspective, when and if I feel there is anything worth saying.
I have an interest in the business decisions that impact MMOs. I also like to try and predict the likely level of success of MMOs based on game mechanics, IP, and revenue models.
I think it is an interesting subject that I have been following since the release of UO.

I do not for a minute think SWTOR is a particularly bad game. I think it is quite good. Good luck to anyone who wishes to spend their time playing it. I may even myself once it is F2P.
I do think it is a financial failure though, and would like to understand the reasons for this in more detail. This is largely due to the fact that every MMO release after this point will have to deal with why SWTOR failed. So as to prove to their investors that it wont happen to them.
I would also like to speculate on the future of SWTOR and MMOs in general.

I hope that doesnt upset you too much Chisel. But I intend to continue posting thus.

TLDR: No I wont.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:36 pm 
Master Spammer

That I have no problem with Remi, I'm in the same situation, I like the game, but I'm very frugal when it comes to subscriptions and I didn't feel with my limited play time that SWTOR was worth it, so am keen to keep informed of what's going on. Perhaps my TL;DR; was not worded very well.

I'm also quite interested in the why it failed aspect, particularly since it falls within my area of work.

What I object to, and I think is the same thing Macfadyan is objecting to is those who clearly have no interest in the game at all, and never want to play it again posting repeatedly what amounts to "LOL, FAIL!!1!" with a link attached and no discussion.

I have no interest in WoW (as an example) myself, I know some do, but I still played it for a bit to try it out a while back. I'd expect the same reaction if I repeatedly posted in WoW threads about how it was losing subscribers, or releasing what appears to be a kiddie expansion, when I clearly didn't play any more and had no further interest in it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:35 pm 
Spammer
 WWW  Profile

Chisel wrote:
What I object to, and I think is the same thing Macfadyan is objecting to is those who clearly have no interest in the game at all, and never want to play it again posting repeatedly what amounts to "LOL, FAIL!!1!" with a link attached and no discussion.

I have no interest in WoW (as an example) myself, I know some do, but I still played it for a bit to try it out a while back. I'd expect the same reaction if I repeatedly posted in WoW threads about how it was losing subscribers, or releasing what appears to be a kiddie expansion, when I clearly didn't play any more and had no further interest in it.

But people posting things to do with that such as myself ARE interested in the state of the game, i am still subbed and nip on now and again so the 2 don't have to be mutually exclusive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:26 pm 
Spam Meister

Odd.

seeing some reports that the shareholder for EA was last thursday and the reason no news came out of it is because it contained no reference to ToR at all. I can't believe that the shareholders didn't have any questions about the state of the game so can only guess they were either privately advised of the state of the gmae beforehand so they wouldn't ask in the official meeting (and so have it on record) or there are plans/announcements afoot that they don't want to talk about yet in case it hurts current sub numbers.

apparently the official write up is due to be released this afternoon but if there was no mention of ToR i guess most news sites wont be interested

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:44 pm 
Administrator

Earnings call ended, looks like they are done with mentioning exact numbers.

First, the game many of you have been tracking closely, Star Wars: The Old Republic.
Although it launched well, subscriptions have been on a declining trajectory and have now slipped below one million. Last year we announced that the breakeven point was roughly 500,000 subscribers. And while we are well above that today, that’s not good enough. The message from players exiting the game is clear – 40 percent say they were turned off by the monthly subscription. And many indicated they would come back if we offered a free-to-play model. Our plan now is to pivot and provide a two-tiered pricing plan which will make the game more accessible and grow the audience. The new pricing will go into effect in November.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swto ... nings-call

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next