Jealhimet Community

Jealhimet Community Forums
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tanking build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:47 pm 

Hi folks, sorry If there is a Tanking thread already I couldnt seem to find it.

Getting a bit ahead of myself here but at Level 50 what should your HP be around and how easy / hard is it to get good enough gear to get into Ops?

Ive read about the dailies and rewards to get mods/gear but how well geared do you have to be so your not undergeared for Operations?

+

Was just looking at the talent tree for Jedi Knight Guardian and noticed in the Vigilance tree there is an ability called Protector (4% Endurance and 100% Guardian leap affect on you) Im surprised to see that in Vigilance rather than Defence to be honest, anyone think the same? :?

Post subject: Re: Tanking build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:13 pm 
Administrator

Josapher wrote:
Ive read about the dailies and rewards to get mods/gear but how well geared do you have to be so your not undergeared for Operations?

As a general rule I would say at least rating 126 gear for normal raids / hard mode flashpoints and at least rating 136 for hard raids.

Your HP is very dependent on gear so you probably have around 12-14k health now but once fully geared you will get around 20k.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:22 pm 
Apprentice Spammer

I'm in a full suit of crafted 126 atm, so I'm at raid entry level and I'm sitting at between 15K and 16K health unbuffed if that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:07 pm 

malari wrote:
I'm in a full suit of crafted 126 atm, so I'm at raid entry level and I'm sitting at between 15K and 16K health unbuffed if that helps.

Cheers lads, thats what Ill aim for. :bounce:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:55 pm 
Spam Meister

Yeah, 15-16k is where you'll end up unbuffed as a fresh 50. I never felt comfortable tanking with that, you'll want the Hyper-Battle Fortitude stims for Ops & Flashpoints. I carry a stack of normal endurance stims for dailies/general as well. I tried to aim for 18k all buffed up (with Trooper) if I was needed as an instance tank.

As far as I can remember this is my build:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500fMGfurrkuRZh.1

You'll want to be using Guardian Armourings & Hilts (preferably the ones from dailies). The endgame gear has far too much accuracy on it (which is being removed in 1.2) so concentrate on Defence, Shield & Absorb for your secondaries. I can hit you up with Crystals, Hilts & Enhancements as a fresh 50, but you'll replace most of it with daily mods quickly.

Guardian is very much like Warrior in BC-era WoW, it is heavily gear dependant. You will struggle to hold AOE or multiple ranged aggro. My strategy is to aim to hold the Elites & above, let the rest of the group deal with the weak, normal & Lieutenants. If your running with a Guardian tank the matra is "you pull it, you deal with it".

I'll post a proper Guardian tanking guide soon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 pm 

Good to know about the acc, cheers. Only tank char Ive rolled was a pally (and he had like 30k HP lol) so not used to the pull elites and let others nuke the lower adds but after a few runs Im sure itll become second nature, anyway looking at others chars it aint like anybody is low on HP, not seen a 50 under 12/13k HP yet so they can probably deal with adds unlike rogues 1 hit 1 death sort of thing.

Cheers Jamie, any help with mods would be great, what sort of rotation do you use or is it more of a whats needed at the time abilitys?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:31 pm 
Spam Meister

I use a slightly different rotation to others I've seen posted (different order):

* Saber Throw
* Force Leap
* Blade Storm (to give me Blade Barrier from the word go, costs nothing after Leap)
* Sunder (first stack)
* Guardian Strike (4 sunders)
* Force Sweep (Accuracy debuff)
* Sunder (5 sunders)
* Hilt Strike
* Master Strike
* Force Stasis

Riposte normally procs within the first 4 or 5 attacks so I use that when it's ready since it's not on the global CD. After all that I'm just concentrating on keeping the armour sunders at 5 stacks & making sure the accuracy debuff is always up. Chuck in the big hits when they're ready.

The reason I do it in that order is to save my immediate Focus Regen so I have it ready if adds spawn when I'm starved, or I need to drop some dps to capture aggro back etc. Same with both taunts, although if it's an area pull I'll have used the area one (normally before the first sunder but it depends on knockback/sleeps).

Make sure your DPS are patient, I tell people not to hit anything until they see the 4 sunder stack because up until that point I haven't put out much damage myself yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:37 pm 
Spam Meister
 WWW  Profile

kai-ying wrote:
Same with both taunts, although if it's an area pull I'll have used the area one (normally before the first sunder but it depends on knockback/sleeps).

I'd be careful with area pulling with the AoE taunt, it doesnt generate a huge amount of threat, it just instantly puts you to the top of their imaginary threat meter...Which when no one else is on it, is pretty pointless...If i mind right you dont have that many AoEs, what you could try doing is getting a few Cybertech high damage grenades and chucking one in, then bringing the pain yourself which could put you in a pretty decent standing threat wise, and save the AoE taunt for when someone takes the mobs off you.

Unless i read that wrong, and you're not pulling with the AoE taunt, but using it when the mobs move off you, in which case...Nevermind me :).

Regardless, im going to start crafting a load of Cybertech damage grenades for Atlas i think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:45 pm 
Spam Meister

I don't know how you're AOE taunt works, mine makes them attack me for 6 seconds (it doesn't do anything to the threat table at all other than that, if I miss them during that they go back). I use that to get them near me so I can use Swipe and the spammable (shite) area hit I can do. I normally try and keep it til they start heading for the healers though (pretty much immediate) or Ment cos he opens with his biggest hit every encounter. :P To be fair though, if they're leaving me at that stage it's already a lost cause AOE taunt or not. I'll probs have warned the OT (you lol) prior to an AOE pull that it's going to go tits up. It's not a guardians forte.

Edit: I should say, I'm not actually pulling with the Taunt. I don't use the same rotation for area pulls.

Last edited by kai-ying on Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:00 pm 
Administrator

Yeah, starting a fight with an AoE taunt is generally a bad idea since you lose your ability of getting to the top of the threat list of all mobs once DPS has started to take you over in the threat list. If you start a fight you are already on top and the mobs will already move to you so the taunt is basically wasted.

Taunting immediately pulls the mobs to you, even if you are not on the top of the threat list. After that a DPS will need to do 130% threat to pull them back which is not going to be easy to pull off.

DPS: 1 damage = 1 threat
Tank: 1 damage = 1.5 threat
Heal: 1 healing = 0.5 threat

So if your healer doesn't have survivability issues but you do have threat issues it's best to put guard on the highest hitting DPS for the threat reduction since it's unlikely a healer will pull a mob from the tank.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:01 pm 
Spam Meister

I was late editing the last post. I'm not pulling with a taunt.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:03 pm 
Administrator

kai-ying wrote:
I was late editing the last post. I'm not pulling with a taunt.

Yeah, didn't think you were but putting it up as general info for new tanks.