Jealhimet Community

Jealhimet Community Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The guild
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:37 pm 
Administrator

Me and isai were wondering what the plan with the guild is? Are we going the recruiting path or not? It's been hit and miss in the past but if there is one game where it can succeed this is probably the one.

Not sure if that's what we want though, we could just as easily do everything with the group that we have and don't do any active recruiting (raid sizes are 8 and 16).

At the moment these forums are completely closed, you need to register to see anything and I even disabled registrations a couple of weeks ago because of the spam. If we go the recruiting way we should probably open the forums up so that people can see what we are about and have a dedicated place where new people can post and stuff. I was also thinking about setting up the Teamspeak (or Mumble, heard a lot of great things about that) server again.

What do you guys think is the way to go?

Post subject: Re: The guild
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:49 am 
Spam Meister
 WWW  Profile

Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautifull butterfly patterns... I'M FREE!!!
I think firstly, that we have to consider the game itself, and how it affects community.

Ive said earlier that the city was the heart of our guild. Now, there is no city, as such, like that in SWTOR. With SWG it was ok for noobies to go hunting with others as with a good buff and comp armour, they would be ok...

So, IF we want to grow the guild, then we have to look at our core activities and how we treat people. SWG was a sandbox, this is a theme park. People will be at very different lvls all the time. So an effort should be made to be as inclusive as possible to all. In other games we've been scattered around all over the place. No one's fault, just the way the games have been. So if we can find a way of trying to address this for SWTOR, then I think thats part of the battle won.

Sorry, just thought Id point out observations from other games we've done. Inclusivity, if we recruit, has to be a priority, as best we can manage it in this type of game.

Also, folks will be playing Imp too, reducing our numbers online at any given time. Is there a way of either an ingame chat, or outside game chat? Teamspeak is good, however, as we've discovered, in this game it can be... frustrating with all the voice acted stuff, to have me burbling on and on, lol.

Might be an idea to wait a month or so before recruiting, as Jerrick said, so those who actually sub and want to stay in the game are still with us, instead of vanishing....

There... um... yes

Mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:27 am 
Master Spammer

Ethicaly and morally i think it would be a bad idea to recruit new people and subject them to macfadyan.
I'm sure we would be breaking several human rights laws.

Lady Claire of Glencoe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:13 am 
Administrator

Seriaw Logi wrote:
Ethicaly and morally i think it would be a bad idea to recruit new people and subject them to macfadyan.
I'm sure we would be breaking several human rights laws.

Good point, I hadn't considered that.

Teamspeak with the voice acting is also a good point. It has another downside in that it splits the community a bit and guild chat is nonexistent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:54 am 
Spam Meister

yeah, i've always hated TS as a default chat system.

I see the need for it in Raids and possibly large scale PvP but i don't think it should be the standard method of comms in the guild.

Some people (like me) tend to be doing all kinds of other stuff while playing that putting on a headset/mic just gets in the way of (watching tv, on the phone, on the internet, listening to music etc). Other people might just be a bit shy or playing in a environment with family/kids where speaking out loud or listening out loud can be problematic.

While TS has it's place i think in-game guild chat should be the standard comms channel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:06 pm 
Spam Meister
 WWW  Profile

Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautifull butterfly patterns... I'M FREE!!!
ok... a) Chels, I WILL kill you in game... one day... I feel that needed saying. Probably through shock, to be honest - I know whats coming....

b) Teamspeak aside, what do folks think we can do to make a guild succesful in this type of game? One word springs to mind for me... commitment - just spelt better... If we try to build the guild then those at it's core need to be fixed on looking after everyone until the guild is big enough to not have to worry about babysitting... Im speaking from experience of running guilds in different games... Im no great GL, as Im sure Chels will tell you, lol.. but I can see where thinsg went wobbly in other games... Oh, and no, not chucking my hat in the ring. Just giving my tuppence worth.

Mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:32 pm 
Master Spammer
 WWW  ICQ  YIM  Profile

i think to make something work as a guild we need to look at the roots of how it was done the first time round with JEA in SWG..

IE

Have fun, Be Polite & Have respect for others, be helpfull, and did i mention have fun?

Fun being the key one, if we just play the game, root together i doubt thinking about makeing a guild work will be an issue. we need a new name tho, i doubt jealhimet elite army will work for everything.

im gonna be poping up a post in general shortley with some things, just need to get it written up properley.

Triforce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:35 pm 
Spammer
 WWW  Profile

With teamspeak, as long as its used as an added tool and not a replacement then all will be well. I turn off general chat alltogether myself and only have guild/party chat visable in the chat window most of the time also. Teamspeak can be a good place to hang out and meet up before deciding the next path of action is a good thing. I use it now as our out of SWG cantina of sorts, a good place to chat and hang out/meet up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:39 pm 
Spam Meister
 WWW  Profile

Yup. All those things have to be a must. I must stress I wasn't thinking rules n regulations etc.... wasn't sure if thats how I came over.. just pointing out what could be needed to build the guild on a solid foundation. Like I say, once we reach a size, then it will run itself. The trouble Ive found in the past, is getting a guild to reach that size - people outlevel others then bugger off to larger guilds who are doing high end stuff...meaning that we never managed to get a raid group going etc because our higher members had vanished... it was like a bloody conveyor belt. COH worked ok, but then we never really went to town on that - it was fun while it lasted though. Vanguard died a death - damn shame, beautiful game that. So, there. Comitememnt from core guild members - we know who you are :P until the guild runs itself... But Art is right about fun etc....

Mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:56 pm 
Master Spammer
 WWW  ICQ  YIM  Profile

forget teamspeak, one thing at a time, get in, have fun, follow the guild code,

Treat people how you would want to be treated yourself
Respect others and Wear your guild name with pride, your actions reflect upon us all.
No assults on people in guildchat, take up issues in PM.
Above all, Have fun :)

or something to that effect. the most important ones are underlined...

Triforce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:42 pm 
JEA Guildleader

We should give recruiting a go, but, we should wait a few weeks before starting. Also, guild chat I find is very important if we are gonna keep the people who we recruit. I've seen us in WoW go on a good recruiting spree, and the people we recruit leave a few days later due to the lack of any sort of guild chat. Teamspeak should be secondary, and as a way to keep in touch when people are on either their Rep or Imp toons.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:52 pm 
Master Spammer

I'm loving the enthusiasm but we all have to be on the same server :D

Lady Claire of Glencoe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:55 pm 
Administrator

Jerrick wrote:
We should give recruiting a go, but, we should wait a few weeks before starting. Also, guild chat I find is very important if we are gonna keep the people who we recruit. I've seen us in WoW go on a good recruiting spree, and the people we recruit leave a few days later due to the lack of any sort of guild chat. Teamspeak should be secondary, and as a way to keep in touch when people are on either their Rep or Imp toons.

Agreed, active guild chat is vital for new players (and old ones as well ;)).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:06 pm 
Master Spammer
 WWW  ICQ  YIM  Profile

Grim wrote:
Jerrick wrote:

Agreed, active guild chat is vital for new players (and old ones as well ;)).

im game for that, TS does ruin the in-game voice, i spent half if not more of my time just saying, shhhhhh, or being on my own in a channel. so yeah, i dont think its a good option unless we are planning some PVP for quick comms etc

Triforce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:50 pm 
Junior Troll

Do you think we should lay off the welsh this time jerr ?